Wednesday 5 February 2014

Teaching Job Interviews



Job Interviews

I read a really funny article on the web today about people going for interviews for English Language teaching jobs and it made me think about my experiences:

First Job: I was living in Wales but had left my CV at a language school near my home town in the UK.Got a call that a teacher was sick and could I come for an interview.I was newly qualified so very nervous but after a brief chat was offered the job.One of those cases that they probably would have taken anyone with a Tefl certificate..I remember to this day walking into the classroom and teaching a high level class and feeling sick to my stomach with nerves but elated once I had actually taught a proper lesson.

 Second Job: Still at the same school and with a bit more experience under my belt, met a colleague who was based in Italy but back to teach summer school.She said that her friend had opened up a school and was looking for a teacher..that September after no interview and just personal recommendation I was off to Italy..a steep but ultimately essential learning experience.

Third Job: Saw an advertisement in The Guardian for a school in Portugal looking for teachers..went along for an interview in London but interestingly and very scarily got caught up in a bomb scare in a cafe and had to wait at the back of the cafe until the street was declared safe..arrived late and a bit shaken for the interview but got the job anyway..this time a real interview..a panel of three people but can't remember any of the questions..

Fourth Job: Again another Guardian one but for Australia..travelled down to London and sat in the waiting room with other applicants chatting with a scruffy guy sitting at reception ( it was the weekend) Got interviewed by a very smartly dressed DOS who left me to prepare a presentation on the present perfect. Totally amazed to find out that the scruffy guy was the owner of the school and was purposely sitting there and eavesdropping on his potential employees..

Fifth Job: Sent my CV to schools in Sydney and got a reply and telephone interview..flew to Sydney and DOS put me up for a week while I found somewhere to live..

Sixth Job: Back in the UK..telephone interview with a school in New Zealand,questions if I remember correctly about what courses I had taught and the nationality of my past students..wanted to know if I had taught a lot Chinese.

Here is the link that made me laugh and think about my experiences....
http://tefltrainerspain.com/2012/11/22/things-you-shouldnt-say-in-an-interview-for-a-tefl-job/

No comments:

Post a Comment