Tuesday 28 January 2014

Certificate in Online Teaching

Well I have started my online course with International House. The first module is about Welcomes and Introductions and it seems important to be able to build up a class rapport with your fellow online  
course members. I have been chatting to a lady in Canada as we are in similar time zones and not in the middle of the night like the others according to NZ time.We have all been participating in an online Find Someone Who which I think is a great idea and then sharing opinion over an article about the use of mobile devices in the classroom.It still early days but already I am thinking of how I can apply some of the online activities into my own teaching.Self reflection seems to be a key element and today although some of the navigation was a bit frustrating, I felt really pleased that I had contributed to discussion and am looking forward to the feedback.

The course aims..
To train tutors in techniques and approaches to online tutoring for both student-oriented and teacher-oriented courses on the IH Virtual Learning Environment (Platform). The course focuses on the demands of the asynchronous environment and how this is different from face-to-face teaching.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Melody, the beginnings might be chaotic, especially when the environment is new to you. But once you get the hang of it, it will become easier. Developing a routine is also important - you're doing very well :-) I like the image you have included in your blog post - it's what teaching is about, isn't it? No matter whether face-to-face or online - what do you think? I believe when integrating technologies into the curriculum we sometimes focus on the technology so much that we forget what the real purpose of teaching is.
    Perhaps you'd like to post this image to the discussion forum in the course cafe? To inspire others?

    Good luck with the course!

    Ania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment Ania.Technology has opened up a different world of teaching and learning for me and more importantly collaboration with both my colleagues and very importantly my students. That said, it is important to step back at look at the whole picture and reflect on your role both as a teacher and in the shoes of your students.

    ReplyDelete